It’s the season of stuffy noses, temperature and weather extremes (for some of us)! For everyone who’s suffering from the post holiday cold symptoms blues, here are some quick and natural cold busters. Some are what we all know and try to do when we’re sick, and some are probably new to your eyes.
1. Vitamin C – yes we all know get lots of Vitamin C. Oranges are a plus, but vitamin C is in lots of other things like kiwi and other fruits. If you’re going to get Vitamin C, have it be natural instead of the pill form. Be careful on Vitamin C loading, too much could lead to kidney stones and diarrhea.
2. Soup – Grandma knew best. It’s an ancient tradition to have chicken soup when sick. Sipping hot fluids will stimulate your lymph system to drain better, and chicken soup has loads of nutrients to stimulate healing. Chicken is good for energy if you eat animal products, and if not vegetable based soup or a thin squash soup has just the same effects.
3. Garlic – a natural antibiotic and used for healing for ages. There’s a secret remedy of raw garlic, lime juice, and honey mixed together (kind of like a shooter) or blended with water for a whole drink. Have this mixture as often as you can and watch the sickness melt away. Lemon also helps. Roasting garlic is a good way to get garlic in a cooked way. Simply pour oil over an entire clove, roast in the oven until crispy and break open the pods to pop out the garlic. Ayurvedic doctors suggest making ear oil out of roasted garlic and loading it into the ear holes to treat ear infections and general ailments. More posts coming soon on Ayurvedic lifestyle and treatments for ailment.
4. Steam humidifier – simply being in the bathroom during a warm shower or breathing deeply over a steaming pot on the stove can do the trick to open up sinuses and clean out.
5. Neti pot – another ancient Ayurvedic goldmine. This little pot is used for nasal cleansing. All you do is tip it to one side in the nose while leaning over, and let the salt mixed solution run over the top of the nasal passage. Saltwater gargle can also have some of the same effects.
6. Let The Fever Work Through It’s Course! Taking medicine to fight a fever is necessary sometimes when we need to, but if at all possible simply let your fever run through the course it needs to. This is a cleansing for the body and builds good disease fighting bacteria in the body. Antibiotics kill ALL bacteria, the good ones too. So if you can, let it stick around for awhile until it’s ready to leave on its’ own.
Stay tuned for coming posts on Natural Hangover Busters, and a simple guide to balancing yourself with Ayurvedic lifestyle.